Sunday, February 21, 2010

Will you Salsa with me?

The real treasure of Mexican cuisine lays without a doubt in the glory of a good salsa. You see a salsa can in many cases make or break the whole experience of a given dish. It can be mild, spicy, complex, raw, cooked, you name it. It can lighten up your day, really. If you buy the ready-made so called “Mexican Salsas” that come in a bottle or a carton box in your neighborhood supermarket you obviously do not know what I am talking about, but I dare you to find out. I did and it literary changed the way I look at this “condiment”.

Per recommendation of someone who certainly knows the world of the salsa, I have recently purchased a book with 100 Mexican salsa recipes, and I took on the challenge to try each and every one of them. The best way not to miss any is to go one by one from A to Z. So let’s get straight to the point and attack Guacamole Taquero.













 


Ingredients:
4 green tomatoes
1/2 garlic clove
2 avocados
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped majoran
2 serrano chilis
2 habanero chilis
1/2 chopped onion
Olive oil
Salt

The original recipe from the book is slightly different. These are my interpretations and it will apply to the rest of the salsas that I will present. I made two versions: raw and burned.

Preparation:

RAW: Put all ingredients into the mixer and mix till the consistency is smooth.

BURNED: Bring water to boil in a small pot and boil the tomatoes for about 5 minutes till the color becomes slightly darker green. On a flat pan, burn the chilis, garlic and onion till blackened on the sides (without oil). Add all ingredients into the mixer and mix till the consistency is smooth.

Review:

The raw version was slightly too strong. The acidic touch of the onion, raw garlic, and sticky tomatoes was a bit aggressive on the tongue when savored by itself. It could be a good option for a strong flavored meet such as game.

The burned version, my preference, was much smoother and softer on the palate. This one you can combine with virtually any dish, even fish.

No comments: